Regular, day-to-day activities such as running, walking, shopping, doing chores, or pursuing various hobbies can make your feet fatigued and sore. Imagine the hell your feet will go through while travelling! However, nobody leaves the comfort of their home country or city to spend an entire day in a hotel room.
You will be rushing from landmark to landmark, tasting foods at outdoor markets, getting the pulse of the city in pubs, hoping that you will manage to experience as much things as possible during your stay.
If you want to have the best travel experience possible, your feet will need a little extra care and attention. The best way to ensure this is by equipping your travel shoes with a pair of sturdy, reliable insoles. If you are not sure what to buy, we have compiled a small list of the best insoles for walking.
What Are Insoles and Why It Is a Good Idea to Have Them
Insoles (also known as footbeds, inner soles, or inserts) are the soft paddings inside the shoe that act as a separation zone between the foot the base sole of the shoe. While all shoes come with stock insoles, they are more often than not unreliable and tend to degrade rather quickly.
High-quality insoles can be purchased separately, from a shoe store, to improve comfort levels, flexibility, and your overall user experience. But their purpose and utility go beyond improving the wearer’s comfort. Insoles can:
- make oversize shoes fit better
- prevent the development of blisters and calluses from the repeated friction of the skin against the shoe
- improve foot posture
- offer adequate protection against adverse weather effects
For example, insoles are highly recommended for people who are required to spend many hours outdoors, in the cold as part of their jobs, like construction workers, lumberjacks, and so on. These insulated work boots buying tips will help you choose the best insulated work boots, even if you need them for a winter vacation, not work purposes.
Here’s what the market has to offer in terms of insoles appropriate for travelling. These are the 5 best insoles for travel that includes a lot of walking.
5 Best Insoles for Travelers
When it comes to maintaining your feet in a healthy state, proper arch support is just as important as comfort and adequate posture, especially when you are running from one place to another, trying to catch as many open museums as possible before closing time. This is where the Powerstep Original insoles excel. They provide both comfort and convenience with a reasonable price tag.
Despite their apparent fragility due to their thinness, they are deceptively sturdy and resistant in reality. The dual-layered padding design offers the best possible comfort, while the flexible arch ensures proper heel cradling and great shock absorption. If you are about to embark on a long travelling session, these insoles are one of the best options out there.
- Semi-rigid arch support: Get the support and stability you need with the flexible shell and encapsulated design of powerstep’s original full length
- Heel cradle: for added support On impact, the heel cradle cushions your foot with each step
- Dual-layer cushioning with vct (Variable Cushioning Technology): high-quality, targeted cushioning protects your feet during Athletic activity and standing or walking
- No trimming necessary: powersteps are easily moveable from shoe to shoe so you can get foot pain Relief no matter what you wear
- Ultra-thin, low profile design fits in most casual, dress and athletic shoes
Another excellent option by Powerstep is the Pinnacle Plus orthopedic insole. They have built-in metatarsal support to spread and alleviate pain points.
The dual layer cushioning provides comfort to the wearer whether they decide to go on a stroll in the city’s old town, take a jog by the beach, or stand in line at a restaurant. They insoles are good for all foot types, whether you have a low or high arch.
- Full-length double-layered orthotics
- Heel Comfort Cushion
- Available in different sizes
If you are looking for something effective, yet simple and affordable that will make travelling more bearable to your feet, consider trying these insoles from HappyStep. The HappyStep insole is an economical way to reduce as well as to prevent foot fatigue and pain without dropping a lot of money on a pair of insoles.
They feature a smart design that encourages proper airflow, high-density memory foam that will take the shape of your feet, and a slim-down design for easy setup.
- High-density memory foam shoe inserts provide customized cushioning
- Orthopedic cushioned arch support best fit neutral or medium foot arch type
- Trim-to-fit: please follow the sizing instruction below for the best fit
- Best fit in medium and high-volume footwear with removable insoles
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed! Please contact us for free return if you don’t like the insole
Contributing to the list of the best insoles for travelling are these sturdy inserts produced by Spenco. Their low profile, as well as slim structure, allow wearers to move across any surfaces with absolute comfort and ease and without adding pressure to the heel and plantar.
The flattened cushioned provides balance as well as confidence, two things that you will surely need during your travels.
- Three-quarters length for additional toe room in tighter fitting shoes
- Spencore material exclusive cushioning layer absorbs shock and impact to provide maximum comfort
- Moldable arch insert the flexible plastic arch insert helps support and control the foot
- 7 sizes for correct arch placement for better overall fit, comfort and performance
- 4-way stretch fabric with silpure antimicrobial helps prevent blisters while controlling odor
We couldn’t write an article about insoles without mentioning Timberland Pro insoles. Well-regarded for their high-quality shoes, these insoles do nothing but live up to the reputation of the manufacturer.
They feature anatomical contoured arches that provide adequate space for the heels along with high-quality leather construction that ensures comfort and durability. If you are looking for something long-lasting that will serve you through many intensive journeys, these insoles from Timberland will do just that.
- The Anti-Fatigue Technology Insole features an exclusive inverted cone foam, designed to absorb shock & return energy to your feet with every step.
- Designed with shock-absorbing, geometrical technology that returns energy back to the foot to deliver all-day support & comfort.
Insoles are among the most overlooked shoe accessories, which is a real shame considering the benefits they bring. If you are about to go on vacation and want something that will provide an additional degree of comfort and stability, give one of these products a shot. Adding one of these best insoles for walking will only enhance your journey and make you more comfortable.
Looking for a great pair of walking sandals for travel? Check out our sandal guide for the pairs we recommend.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
With an educational background in Engineering Design and a personal interest in all things construction and workforce related, Vince is behind WorkBootCritic.com. He’s a news geek, especially when it comes to keeping up to date with the industry’s biggest developments.