London is one of our favorite cities (you can probably tell, because we moved here!). It’s not like most cities that are clustered into one small and very tall area. London is very spread out and there are multiple neighborhoods that offer something different and unique. You can see all the major sights along the Thames, then spend many more days exploring neighborhoods, like Notting Hill, Angel, Shoreditch and SoHo.
If you’re planning a trip to London and would like to find the best things to do, places to eat and drink in the city, look no further than our shortcut travel guide to London (see infographic below). We’ve got it covered for you.
What to Do in London
If it’s your first time in London, you’ll no doubt be wanting to see the sights. We’ve got a full walking-tour guide to the top sights of London that you can do in one day. London is also full of iconic buildings to admire.
Once you’ve seen Big Ben and Westminster, you might want to head further out of town to see Windsor Castle and the charming little town of Windsor. It doesn’t take long to get there on the train and is a perfect day trip from London. You can also visit Stonehenge on a day trip from London.
For us, foodie activities always take up at least a portion of our itinerary. Find some of London’s best foodie activities to do right here.
If you want to create an itinerary for London with some of the activities we’ve included in the infographic below, we recommend booking tickets on Viator (these are affiliate links from which we may make a small commission). They make it super simple to book everything you want to see in one place!
- Soho Food & Cocktail Tour
- East End Food Tour
- London Eye Ticket with Skip-the-Line – BOOK HERE
- London Pass Including Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour and Entry to Over 60 Attractions – BOOK HERE
- The View from The Shard Entrance Ticket with Optional Champagne – BOOK HERE
- Warner Bros. Studio Tour London – The Making of Harry Potter – BOOK HERE and read our full review of the tour.
- London Full-Day Sightseeing Tour w/ Tower of London, Changing of the Guard, and Thames River Cruise – BOOK HERE
Where to Stay in London
As with any large city, there are many different parts of London, and each has a different feel to it. You should base your stay in London on what you want to get out of your trip, but the best location for tourists in the city tends to near Victoria and Oxford Circle, because they are so convenient to the typical tourist attractions of the city. Soho is also a great location if you want to be in the heart of the action, near tons of great restaurants and bars.
Here are our recommended places to stay in London. You can use these links to read more reviews or book your stay (they are affiliate links which earn us a small commission):
- Marriott County Hall: Great value for the price. Nice affordable luxury hotel in a great location. Read reviews or check prices
- Park Plaza Westminster Bridge: If you’re planning your time seeing the main tourist sights in London, this is the perfect location. Read reviews or check prices
- The Nadler Soho: Soho is one of the most fun neighborhoods in London for visitors. This hotel is prime location, and really nice. Read reviews or check prices
Shortcut Travel Guide to London
Before you go: Get the lowest price on London Attraction Tickets
(Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.)