Austin is the state capital of Texas, but above all, it’s a college town, home to the University of Texas – you’ll know that the second you arrive on 6th Ave. But don’t let that sway your impression of Austin, because there’s so much more to it than that. Austin is also well known for its eclectic music scene and outrageously good BBQ. If you’re into festivals, you may have heard of the South by Southwest (SXSW) festival that takes place in Austin every year in March, celebrating interactive media, film and music. Or maybe you’ve heard about our favorite event of the year, the Austin Food & Wine Festival.
No matter your reason for visiting Austin, you’ll find something unique and refreshing about it. Take a look at our interactive travel guide to Austin, below for lots of top idea for where to stay, things to do, and places to eat and drink in Austin..
You may also like these articles about Austin:
- Where to Eat and Drink in Downtown Austin
- Everything’s Bigger in Texas: the Austin Food & Wine Festival
Where to Stay in Austin, Texas
Downtown is a prefect location for tourists in Austin. It’s easy to get around on foot, or get a Lyft. There are tons of restaurants and bars to check out and many good choices for hotels.
While I love to recommend The Driskill, because of its historical charm and elegance, it is a pretty expensive place to stay. If you can afford it, by all means, you should. Otherwise, here are a few more affordable luxury hotels to stay at in Austin.
(The links below are our affiliate links, which costs you nothing to use, but earns us a buck or two when you choose to book a room through our link. We always appreciate your help in keeping the lights on around here).
- Intercontinental Stephen F. Austin ⇒ Read reviews of check prices on Trip Advisor | Expedia
- Hyatt Regency Austin ⇒ Read reviews of check prices on Trip Advisor | Expedia
- For a little more tranquility, outside of downtown: Lake Austin Spa Resort ⇒ Read reviews of check prices on Trip Advisor | Expedia