Many people visit Athens for the history and archaeology, of course. The pantheon and other Roman ruins in the city are astounding. But that’s not the only reason to visit Athens. Don’t forget about the incredible foodie experiences, like the really fun Greeking.me food tour we went on. There are so many things to do in Athens that you will surely never run out.
To show you the best side of Athens, we’ve put together this handy infographic. It will help you start planning your trip by showing you all the best hotels, neighborhoods, things to do, and places to eat and drink in the Athens.
These are not only some of the top things to do, see, eat and drink in Athens, they are also some of our personal favorites. It is an awesome city, plus it’s easy and safe to walk around.
Where to Stay in Athens
Most visitors will want to stay near the ancient ruins so they can easily get to and walk around the historical sites. That’s very easy to do in Athens and it puts you right in the middle of the action of the city, so I highly recommend doing just that. Since there are many parts of the city that are accessible to the historic sites, you can branch out a bit and still walk to everything.
Here are our hotel recommendations. You can use the links below to read reviews or book your hotel (using our affiliate links):
- New Hotel (near Syntagma Square): Lovely design hotel with in-room balconies, within walking distance of the main squares. Read Reviews | Book a Stay (Read about our stay at NEW Hotel in Athens)
- AVA Hotel & Suites Athens: Just a very short walk from the Acropolis, shopping and restaurants. Rooms are spacious, clean, and beautifully appointed. Read Reviews | Book a Stay
- Electra Metropolis Athens: Incredible views of the Acropolis from the rooftop terrace, and some rooms. Nice rooms and great service. Read Reviews | Book a Stay
Need more options? Check out these Hotels in Athens, Greece
What to do in Athens
With so many great things to do in Athens, you really need to set up a good itinerary before you leave, to make sure you fit everything in. You can pre-book some of the activities listed in our shortcut travel guide to Athens (below), by using the links below for Viator and GetYourGuide. (Note: They are affiliate links for which we receive a small commission.)
- Athens Half-Day Sightseeing Tour – BOOK HERE
- Athens Small-Group Food Tour – BOOK HERE
- Acropolis Walking Tour Including Syntagma Square and Historical City Centre – BOOK HERE
- Private Greek Cooking Class with Organic Products – With Locals – BOOK HERE
Travel Guide to Athens