Many people visit Athens for the history and archaeology, of course. The pantheon and other Roman ruins in the city are astounding. But that’s not the only reason to visit Athens. Don’t forget about the incredible foodie experiences, like the really fun Greeking.me food tour we went on. There are so many things to do in Athens that you will surely never run out.
To show you the best side of Athens, we’ve put together this handy infographic. It will help you start planning your trip by showing you all the best hotels, neighborhoods, things to do, and places to eat and drink in the Athens.
These are not only some of the top things to do, see, eat and drink in Athens, they are also some of our personal favorites. It is an awesome city, plus it’s easy and safe to walk around.
Where to Stay in Athens
Most visitors will want to stay near the ancient ruins so they can easily get to and walk around the historical sites. That’s very easy to do in Athens and it puts you right in the middle of the action of the city, so I highly recommend doing just that. Since there are many parts of the city that are accessible to the historic sites, you can branch out a bit and still walk to everything.
Here are our hotel recommendations. You can use the links below to read reviews or book your hotel (using our affiliate links):
- New Hotel (near Syntagma Square) ⇒ Read Reviews | Book a Stay (Read about our stay at NEW Hotel in Athens)
- AVA Hotel Athens ⇒ Read Reviews | Book a Stay
- Electra Metropolis Athens ⇒ Read Reviews | Book a Stay
Need more options? Check out these Hotels in Athens, Greece
What to do in Athens
Want to create an itinerary of the activities listed in our shortcut travel guide to Athens (below)? Use the links here to check out these activities and set up your itinerary.
- Athens Half-Day Sightseeing Tour
- Athens Small-Group Food Tour
- Acropolis Walking Tour Including Syntagma Square and Historical City Centre
- Cape Sounion and Temple of Poseidon Half-Day Trip from Athens
- Hydra, Poros and Egina Day Cruise from Athens with Optional VIP Upgrade
- Private Greek Cooking Class with Organic Products – With Locals
Travel Guide to Athens